Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Although I did not have a class partner for this project, I feel extremely uncomfortable being photographed. I can handle group pictures or random snap shots, but being the main focus of an image bothers me. This is why I’m always behind the camera, never in front of it. My feelings on being photographed don’t usually change. Again, unless I’m not the focus, then I’ll be a part of the image, but otherwise I will run away from the lens.

I used my best friend as my subject for this project. She, like me, hates being photographed. She is much worse, to the extent that she covers her face while in a picture and does her best to escape the frame, becoming a blur. To help her feel more comfortable getting her picture taken I had her do her own thing. I told her to just jump around, sit how she feels comfortable, and made sure no one was around so she wouldn’t feel self-conscious. Also I had her and her boyfriend just go on a walk together, while I kept a good few feet behind them so they could feel comfortable and just do whatever they wanted.In the end I got some really great shots of her just being herself, and becoming more comfortable posing for a picture (although some of my favorites were lost due to technological issues). In the end she didn’t hate me for making her do this, and she actually liked some of the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment